Tuesday, October 8, 2013

The hills are alive


The Adelaide Hills are stunning. Originally I intended to bypass Adelaide entirely and follow the Murray River towns north, but I’m glad I didn’t. I felt right at home the second I drove into the hills district, perhaps because of my years living in the Dandenong Ranges? I could even hear the local steam train from our campsite. In terms of camping, it’s been the least scenic of our camp spots, but it gave us easy access to the beautiful hills and villages such as Hahndorf and Mt Barker, with their old sandstone mills and houses. A kransky with sauerkraut and an apple strudel were the delicious local fare. But my favourite was the cherry ripe fudge at the local lolly shop. Hahndorf had a similar ambience to Daylesford I thought (try getting a park there over the South Australian Labour Day weekend!) with the emphasis on locally grown produce, a farmer’s market and plethora of restaurants, but it seemed to have a lot more to offer with beautiful traditional German handcrafts, kids’ parks, art exhibitions and museums. Halle and Louie highly recommend a kransky to all of their fellow dog travellers!

2 comments:

  1. Fikret is salivating. He loves Kransky's. Sounds awesome. Glad you're enjoying yourself.

    ReplyDelete